Hello once again!

So unfortunately, recently I have been hit with a cold! Which is terrible and so I was unable to attend training on Monday of week 23.
I had the worst time, wishing I was at training and it just made my whole day feel really low.
I felt slightly better on Wednesday, however, still being in recovery mode, the warm up was not fun. I felt awful, coughing everywhere, in all honesty I shouldn't have gone, but alas, the passion in me cannot die! 

We went through 3 step sparring and patterns. It was a pretty regular night.

-
Into the best week ever! WEEK 24! WOOOOH!
Monday, the 24th of August. Was so much fun! After our hectic warm up we did PATTERNS! Pretty much the whole lesson. I LOVED it. I had Instructor Gary teaching myself and the other 7th grades, correcting our technique and what not. And then during senior class we practiced side kicks over chairs as well as spinning heel kicks too. This was awesome. I love practicing kicks!
I got some really great references from one of the brown belts I was watching and she helped me get the spin right for spinning heel. 
I took some focus pads home after this lesson and have been using them everyday at home, which is great because I can now see how much power I lack.

Wednesday the 26th, was another awesome training day. For the whole lesson we did self defence while Instructor Greg took away a few belt grades to see their patterns. I learnt how to REALLY hurt somebody if they tried to grab me or punch me. 
The hand stuff is a little tricky at first but after a little practice, it turns out splendid as your opponent falls to the ground haha!
During senior class we diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid......................BOARD BREAKING! It was so fun, like I said before I lack a bit of power, so my attempts to break weren't very good and I only broke 1 of around 8 tries. It was a little disheartening, but I knew I just wasn't focusing hard enough and wasn't too beaten up about it.

A few of the brown belts seemed a bit pissed off to say the least when they couldn't break either.
I don't see the point in getting angry, it just means we need to focus more on the technique and power. 
Hence the taking home of the focus pads! 

Here's the cool part. At the end of the lesson I went over to Instructor Greg and he tells me I can break the boards I just need to put my mind in it more. He then says "How about on Monday, we'll hold a grading to see if you can grade up to 6th grade?"
You should have seen my face! Pure shock, our action day isn't for another month! "Really!?" I said. And he basically says, 'Yes, I think you're ready. We'll go through your patterns, 3 step and some free sparring, how about it?'

And I just shook his hand and said "Yes okay! Yay!" 

So! That was awesome! 

-
Today is Thursday the 27th and I decided to take it upon myself to have a look at the other martial arts places in Cairns. So today, my friend and myself went and visited Cairns Kendo Club which is near the little Karate dojo I visited a while back.
We went in through the back and bowed to a few people and met a man named Stuart? I think. Who welcomed us in and gave us some seats to sit and watch. 



A bad photo, but you get the jist.
It was very cool. I loved the energy, very loud and full on. I liked the look of the amour in full and the way they held their shinai. It is very intimidating though and repetitive. They practice the same moves over again and again. 
It looks amazing, but definitely not for me. 
They were very kind and kept asking if I would like to join in, but I was just there to observe. A good experience and next week I will be visiting the Iaido place, run by the same sensei.

I have just ordered my first ever Katana. It took me a long time to gain the courage to buy one (which sounds weird I guess). I have felt for ages that only people who deserve such a weapon may have one. So I'm hoping to practice Iaido if not at a dojo, in my own home.
I don't want to be one of those people who have a Katana and don't know anything about it, who don't know how to use it properly and with respect. 
That should be here in a couple of weeks! I will post plenty of photos and will review the quality and such.
So until then! 

Thank you for reading.










Kirstine Powhiro
7th Gup/Grade 
Rhee TaeKwon Do