Hello once more! 



I'll start off by breaking down my very simple week of training. 
Monday I spent the time before the lesson, trying to remember my pattern, Won Hyo, and tried to figure out how to execute each movement in a smooth way, so that each transition felt and LOOKED good, with proper technique. 
I'm having fun with this pattern but am also getting frustrated with how little I know about it. 

I haven't had to learn a new pattern since I was 12 or 13, and back then, once graded, a whole two lessons were spent dedicated to learning the pattern and proper technique with a senior teaching you. It's different with Rhee TKD, one sort of has to ask how to do the pattern and spend the little time before class or at home trying to get it right. 

Anywho, the majority of the lesson  after warming up, was self defense. I was able to teach a little white belt girl who was very enthusiastic, which made it really fun. 

Wednesday I arrived at my usual early time, 40 mins before class and asked for some help from a higher grade with Won Hyo. I had been watching some videos on YouTube but unfortunately the style is different to Rhee, so I wasn't really gaining any knowledge of the proper techniques, but at least I was able to memorize the full pattern.

In this lesson we focused on kicking. Instructor Wayne took us for the lesson while Instructor Greg took the beginners. Again it was so tiring at the time but I can see how much the exercises will help me improve my kicks. Instructor Wayne has a cool way of explaining in depth what you should do as well as demonstrating. I really enjoy his teachings. 


In senior class we did free sparring, I sparred with a younger brown belt which was fun and afterwards one of the senior brown belts complimented the fact I am able to switch up the moves when sparring. That was really nice because I feel very puzzled when sparring.

-

Which brings me to some thoughts I have been having.
For anyone who doesn't know I run an Instagram page called 'Martial Arts Army', I post photo's every single day which relate to martial arts and motivation for others as well as myself. I think about martial arts most of the time, and it's something I am so fully passionate about.


I find myself thinking "I wish I could just train all day." or "I wish this could be my full-time job."
My current goal is to reach black belt and hopefully become an instructor but even then I feel that it wouldn't be enough to take up my full amount of time.
I want to do this all day, every day! 

Some of the people who follow my Instagram page work full time in martial arts. One particular person from Europe is a Jiu-Jitsu Instructor who owns his own space. He trains himself for the bulk of the day and then teaches at night/afternoon. 

This is something I wish for more than anything. I wake up thinking about TKD and martial arts, I'm unsure if I have "found" what I want to do, I just know I really love it and enjoy it at this point in life. 
For now I will just stick with my goal, learn as much as I can and work hard. 

Thank you for reading my story thus far.

Kirstine Powhiro
6th Grade (Green Belt)
Rhee Tae Kwon Do