I recently read some interesting theories on why people study more than one martial art and wanted to share how I see it.

I know that in quite a few martial arts styles, if you train with one, it's frowned upon to join other groups. One master, one dojo. I actually think this may apply to TKD as well. I don't think its forbidden, but I think it's there to support the ideal of dedication. 

As I've said a few times before, I have been interested in studying Iaido alongside Rhee Tae Kwon Do. They don't pair up in any obvious way and are from different cultures entirely.
Usually people like to pick pairs which compliment each other, for instance Kendo+Iaido, or maybe even BJJ+Judo.



I think that this idea is great and it must really help improve the skills for both as the bulk of the techniques could be similar. But the reason why I would do two so entirely different, is because it will help develop different skills, instead of honing in on one in particular.

So! If I ended up taking Iaido, I would do it to specifically enhance my mind and spirit, with less focus on the physical aspects. 
Accompanied with Rhee TKD, a much more intense martial art,  (who's training involves using all parts of the body rigorously), I would essentially be getting the best of both worlds.
One with teachings for individual development for mainly the mind and the other with more focus on utilising the full body as the weapon AS WELL AS, being another tool for the mind and spirit. 

Basically I can have one aspect focused on more from each martial art. 

Buuuuuut, that's still in development. 
I think I will possibly start Iaido later in life as Rhee TKD is what is currently most important to me. 
So the point is, I wouldn't be choosing one over the other but rather be gaining new knowledge and staying dedicated at the same time. 
I believe that it is possible to make room for both...eventually.

Thanks for reading.

Kirstine Powhiro
6th Grade (Green Belt)
Rhee Tae Kwon Do