Hey there guys!


Sorry it's been a while, I have been very busy with getting a new job and getting settled there. 
But I'm back, so let's talk training!

WEEK 4-

MONDAY:  So Monday was a public holiday but training was still held. We had the smallest class ever, only 6 people showed up which was actually a good thing because we got locked out of the hall and had to train under-cover coz it was raining.
It was an okay lesson, the concrete really hurt my feet and I left with a few blisters. But I did get a chance to work with the young girl who is very tough on herself and helped her learn her new pattern.
Instructor Greg then took me through my pattern, Choong-Gun, just to help refine some small things I have been having trouble with.
And that was that!

WEDNESDAY: This lesson, Instructor Greg was away and so Instructor Wayne and Instructor Curtis took the class.
After a quick warm up, the class was split in half and I went with Instructor Wayne's half. We went through a lot of kicking drills, starting off simple then moving up to jumping spinning kicks which were a lot of fun.
Then for senior class, Instructor Curtis went through some self defense from knives and for a bit of fun we did a small "tournament" of knife-fights (AKA pen-fights), I made it to the final! But the SUPREME POWER of the black belt I faced was too much to overcome ahaaha! 
It was a really fun lesson.

WEEK 5-

MONDAY: Another public holiday lesson, more people showed up this time but still a small class of around 15. I took a yellow belt for basically the whole lesson. She is a little 5 or 6 year old girl and gets bored really easily. So we went through her pattern a couple of times and then did some basic kicks together and she had a lot of fun doing those which made me happy!
After a bit of self defense class was over.
For senior lesson, Instructor Greg took most of the black belts through their pattern. I went with Instructor Curtis through some kicks using the pads, which was awesome, but he mentioned that I pull my leg back too quickly and each kick lacks power. Which is true.
So to help with this, he set me some strange homework, to do 60 full squats everyday when I brush my teeth.
(So far I've been doing it everyday and my legs are very sore hahaa). After that I got to conduct the black belts through their pattern which was so cool, they all look so serious and are perfect in their technique.
I am seriously under the impression that a magic switch turns on when you get your Black Belt, because I genuinely feel I am NOWHERE near that level, yet I am very close to it.

WEDNESDAY: Instructor Greg was away again for this lesson and to be honest, this wasn't my favourite class.
We went through some sparring techniques focusing only on making each kick lock out and end up back in a proper stance. We then did some basics and that was the class.
For senior class, Instructor Linden took us through some more basics, followed by patterns,which for the first time ever I didn't feel like doing and since I was the junior in the group I just had to do my own pattern, Choong-Gun, over and over and over.
Then we did something different, combat rolls and break-falls. It was alright, I might have been in a bad mood this night, I just wasnt feeling it.
After that we all had to do our own patterns some MORE and sadly, I really was just bored of doing my pattern by this point, which sucks because I had been looking forward to training that entire day!

-

I recently found out that Action Day/Grading will be held in June, so I will still be in Cairns for it so that's good!
I was hoping I would be able to spend one last Action Day with these awesome people I've gotten to know.
I am seriously so nervous to start in a new dojang down in the Gold Coast, I am hoping the people are just as nice!

On that weird note, I shall check in again soon!

Have a lovely week pals,

Kirstine Powhiro
4th Grade (Blue Belt)
Rhee Tae Kwon Do