Beginning my TKD journey in such a disciplined dojang, I was surrounded by focused, serious students, who were dedicated to being exceptional martial artists. 
Myself and even the younger children were reminded to keep a serious face when performing patterns or sparring or lining up or accepting a certificate. Anything important.

I wasn't aware at the time but this reminder was to enhance our TKD spirit. We weren't training to laugh and smile at our opponent in a fight or to disrespect our seniors when spoken to. We trained to be strong, focused. A very military approach. 

The point is whenever I've seen someone smile during their pattern I can't help but feel that it takes power away from their movements. Because they mustn't be thinking about their next strike, they mustn't be focusing? Right?




To me, having a straight face brings truth to the technique, makes it feel more serious than it is and therefore replicates the strong, warrior spirit we need when faced with REAL danger. 

I feel also that it shows respect to your instructor not to smile or laugh when recalling patterns. I've never seen an instructor smile during their own pattern, why should we? 

Just thought I would touch quickly on this topic.

So to sum up, when it comes to the important things, be respectful, be passionate and display your indomitable spirit for all to see. You're a martial artist!

Thank you for reading,

-Kirstine