Greetings!
The past week's training has been preparing for Action Day, on both Monday and Tuesday we were taken through kicking drills for most of the lesson, emphasising locking out the leg and keeping the kick out instead of snapping it back immediately. I have recently been feeling a lot of improvement with my side kick and am hearing the 'snap' of my uniform like the higher grades have when the kick is locked out.
However this week I have been lazy.
I don't know what it is but it's just something I need to snap out of. I have taken to "half-assing" stuff rather than giving it my all. 

-

Friday the 25th of September (today!), was Action Day, where Master Rhee comes to our Dojang to watch and grade some of us.
I took the first half an hour to practice my pattern and some back kicks, which I was told need to come straight out rather than whatever I was doing. 

Nathan, a 14 year old black stripe from my club was to be tested for black belt, he was practicing outside with his Dad and seemed calm and collected.
This made me relax completely. If someone who is testing for black belt can be so relaxed, then why do I have to worry?

BAD MOVE.

This was my lazyness kicking in. What a fool! On Action Day? Of all days!
One of the instructors got us to line up backwards with seniors at the back and juniors at the front. This meant I was front and centre. 
When Master Rhee arrived I was fine but we soon jumped into a warm up, we were going hard to impress the Master, my legs were aching and my discipline left me, I dropped my guard, didn't keep my stances deep. Just all round not being good enough!
We then did some one step sparring and I could hear my Instructor and Master Rhee talking about the way I punch. 

After my Instructor came up to me and said "We need to see more twisting in your hips when you punch, at the moment it's nothing, there's nothing happening."
I can understand the criticism and the fact that Master Rhee was present, but it was like I had been told this before when I hadn't? 
Anyway, no big deal, I continued to work on twisting the hips when a second instructor came up to me to physically show me how to do it, this was great, but I wish it had happened at a different time, I felt embarrassed. 

We then did some free sparring for a very long time, I was running out of breath and repeated the same three strikes over and over, my partner, dripping in sweat, kept reminding me to breathe. After a while we got to rest to watch Nathan go for his black belt.

He broke a few boards no problem and then jumped over four of us (including me) to break a board. He missed the first time, knocking his foot on my leg and I felt terrible and tucked myself in tighter.
He then had to spar all of the black belts for about 10 minutes straight, we could tell he was running out of breath as his arms were slacking but, could see fire in his eyes that he wanted so badly to keep going.
All of the people from my club were yelling encouragement and Master Rhee finally called him to stop and said, "You! You are to be junior black belt!"
A massive round of applause filled the Dojang as Instructor Greg tied his new black belt around his waist.

A few tears left my eyes, he really worked hard for it and I was so happy to share in his pride! 

After we bowed out to the flag and Master Rhee, I drove home feeling down about the feedback given to me, it really got to me, but I pulled the car over and had a think about the fact that I can't always get it right and this just means I need to practice harder, I'm coming up to senior grade, I need to train like a senior and have a strong mind.

On that note, next week I won't be slacking off, I won't be making internal excuses but I WILL be going hard, giving my all, I have a few months to train for blue stripe and I intend to make the most of that time.

Thanks for reading!


Kirstine Powhiro
6th Grade (Green Belt)
Rhee Tae Kwon Do